[Mailman-Developers] Adding DMARC support for Mailman 3

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Wed Jul 10 05:32:17 CEST 2013

On Jul 08, 2013, at 02:26 AM, Franck Martin wrote:

>2) mailman has one option: reply to poster or reply to list. I think the
>first one is default, but as mentioned, many list admins, enable reply to
>list.

Actually, Reply-To munging is a bit more complicated.

There is a boolean flag that indicates whether any existing Reply-To headers
should first be stripped, the default being not to strip.  Then there is a
ternary option to specify what kind of munging should happen.  The default is
not to munge Reply-To.  The other two options are to put the mailing list's
posting address in the Reply-To, or to put an explicit header (which the list
admin can enter) into the Reply-To.

I am strongly in the Don't Munge camp, so the default is to leave all these
headers alone.  Mostly, the munge options were added to silence the vocal
Munge advocates.  Using an explicit header has a valid use case: redirecting
replies to an announce-only list posting to a discussion mailing list.

Of course, the effects of any of these headers is heavily dependent on the end
user's MUA and the user's own habits.  I think peoples' opinion on these
contentious issues is almost always driven by the MUA they use.  Mine has very
nice buttons to do the appropriate kind of reply (although often Gmail
conspires against doing the right thing... so what's new there? ;).