[Mailman-Developers] A list of discussion topics: GSoC OpenPGP Integration

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sun Jun 16 11:02:20 CEST 2013

Joost van Baal-Ilić writes:

 > Indeed, that could work.  Another way to deal with it could be: "a
 > key is considered valid if it is imported in the trusted keyring of
 > the current list".  And declare deciding wether to import out of
 > the scope of the project.

I think that we necessarily have to trust the list's keyring, that's
what it's there for.  The question is how do keys get into the trusted
list.

What I had in mind was that "signed-by-list-owner" would be a reason
to import automatically.  The model I have in mind is that signing
Mr. A's key means the list owner is willing to vouch for authenticity
of that key to others, meaning he know Mr. A (including where to find
him if he cheats).  This is probably good enough for lists where the
3-way handshake (subscribe, request confirmation, confirm) is good
enough authentication of the mail address itself.

On the other hand, it's still not a strong authentication in the sense
Abhilash wants.  Mr. A might have tricked the list owner into signing
a throw-away key which will be used to spoof Mr. B's email address.  A
similar trick would defeat Barry's scheme of sending the one-time key
in encrypted form, if the bad guy both submits the PGP key and can
intercept Mr. A's mail.  Both of these schemes have some merit in that
there's a very short window of opportunity for the bad guy.  Once an
authentic key has been linked to an address, authentication is very
strong.