[Mailman-Developers] GSOC - Seeking insight on Authenticated RESTful APIs

Richard Wackerbarth rkw at dataplex.net
Mon May 6 12:01:04 CEST 2013

On May 6, 2013, at 4:36 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:

>> Initially , I was familiar with tastypie and I was strongly considering to
>> use Tastypie only for this project. However after some advice from Richard
>> , I am trying  to be more flexible and I am trying to evaluate both the
>> frameworks separately.
>
> With all due respect to Richard (if that's what he advised), "being
> flexible" here is not a good reason to look at multiple frameworks.  I
> would recommend going with the framework you know.
>
>> I am yet to figure out how to use [django-tasty-pie] with Non-ORM
>> data resources precisely how to integrate it into postorius so I
>> can serve the APIs .
>
> This, on the other hand, is a reason to consider changing, if it's
> really unclear how to use Tasty Pie to do the job.

Let me clarify.  The flexibility that I was suggesting was that he not "marry" his proposal to one particular implementation (Tasty Pie vs django-rest-framework) until he has a better understanding of the requirements and capabilities.

In other words, let the evaluation of the alternatives be a part of the project rather than a precursor.
From my experience, the choice is not clear-cut.

> If this is the best you can do for Tasty Pie I'd say you're pretty much blocked on this route, and you should
> just switch to django-rest-framework, unless you find a clear reason to prefer Tasty Pie.

Just my point.  :)