[Mailman-Developers] GSoC Project Discussion - Web Posting Interface.

Richard Wackerbarth rkw at dataplex.net
Thu May 9 19:57:53 CEST 2013

On May 9, 2013, at 12:06 PM, "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:

> Barry Warsaw writes:
>> On May 08, 2013, at 10:31 AM, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:
>>
>>> I agree with Steve. One of the advantages of Django is its "mix and match"
>>> capability.  Actually, I see two possible apps. One would integrate with
>>> HK. The other would be simpler, just providing a posting mechanism that
>>> provides authenticated message sender.
>
> I'm not sure what you're proposing in terms of "integration".  The way
> I see it, is HyperKitty or any other app could provide links which
> could invoke the web posting app or the user's MUA.  The web posting
> app would have an URL like
>
>    http://list.example.com/HyperKitty/post/MSG_INIT_INFO
>
> where MSG_INIT_INFO would have the same format as a mailto: URL.  So,
> HyperKitty would be in a good position to generate References and so
> on for any message in the archive, but other apps would be able to
> generate their own special messages.  Eg, Roundup could put issue refs
> in posting URLs it puts in issue pages.

Steve, what you are describing is a possible form of the "integration" that I suggest. However, there may be much more information that should be included. As an example, one might want some kind of automatic "seeding" of a part of the message based on the content of the message referenced Another possibility would be a way to avoid extending some of the links from a multi-linked message. I don't know enough about the details avail to attempt to provide a more precise description. However, we need to keep the "level of integration" issue open until someone (presumedly the student) completes an inventory of reasonable possibilities.

I was contrasting that situation with another which simply provides an authenticated submission of a message.

My point is that these two (and others) need not be mutually exclusive.