[Mailman-Developers] GSOC Project Discussion

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sat May 18 04:38:23 CEST 2013

Richard Wackerbarth writes:

 > Would it be easier if we just treated owners and moderators as a
 > couple of additional mailing lists.

That would require additional, complex attributes that aren't
appropriate for most lists to be given to all lists.  They'd have to
have a .virtual_list_for attribute, for example.  If non-null, you
can't post to it.  (Or can you?  Messy.)  The owner list would have to
have a .cant_delete_last_subscriber attribute.  These lists need to be
suppressed when working with the set of "real" mailing lists.  These
lists should be exempted from spam-checking since only Mailman core
ever posts to them.  (Or should they?  See above.)  I think this all
violates duck-typing and gets messier, not easier.

 > Thus a moderator would be subscribed to the <XXX(moderators)> list
 > and that subscription handled just as any other subscription would
 > be handled.

I don't think this will fit users' models of the moderator and owner
roles.  Mailing lists have moderators, not an auto-generated
associated mailing list containing only the moderators.

My $0.02.

Steve