[Mailman-Developers] REST API call for creating archive view?

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Sat Nov 9 15:53:50 CET 2013

On Nov 09, 2013, at 06:10 PM, Colin Fleming wrote:

>Thanks for the comments, Steve - can you clarify what you mean by a
>"write-only API"? As far as I can tell I could use that to insert messages
>that Mailman now considers "posted to the list" into my own DBMS and then
>present them however I like. I'll have a bunch of questions around
>robustness and error handling, but is that not basically  the case?

It is.  The IArchiver API is not part of the REST API; it's not an external
API that clients can talk to.  It's an internal API that Mailman uses exactly
as you say - it's a generic way to get messages posted to the list into other
services, structured around the needs of archivers.

>I like the idea of Hyperkitty returning fairly plain HTML that I could
>later style, although having a REST API that would allow me to get at
>thread objects which contained a tree of message objects would probably be
>ideal. I suspect that's fairly trivial for me to implement assuming my
>assumptions about IArchiver are correct.

IArchiver is part of Mailman core, not Hyperkitty.  In fact, it's the way
messages posted to mailing lists get *into* Hyperkitty. :)