[Mailman-Developers] Mailman Suite beta: what's left?

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Wed Nov 13 13:29:40 CET 2013

On 30 Oct 2013, at 13:33, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:

> Ralf Hildebrandt writes:
>
>>> Where else do you expect to find this information, so we can put it
>>> there?
>>
>> I must admin I haven't tried installing yet, mainly because I didn't
>> know how to "go back" in case of problems.
>
> Repeating what I already wrote for completeness here: Migrating and
> then going back all at once is not necessary.  You can migrate bit by
> bit, although it may require a little bit of manual fiddling if you
> get to the point of installing both on a production server.

The tricky bit here is the continuity of the web interfaces. If a list manager is used to going to lists.example.com/Mailman/listname, and they have that bookmarked, then they’ll want to keep going to that same place.

Likewise, with the list archives, and all the list users. We have 1312 lists, perhaps two or three thousand list admins, and tens of thousands of users.

I’m currently struggling with how to migrate those lists to new hardware, and I think I’m going to have to do it all at once in order to avoid having to educate everyone to find a new web address, and then to revert to the old one. Perhaps I could alternatively tell them that web access is unavailable during a migration week.

I’m also nervous about breaking migration through the archives.

--
Ian Eiloart
Postmaster, University of Sussex