[Mailman-Developers] Testing different email structures with MUAs

Abhilash Raj raj.abhilash1 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 10:58:21 CEST 2013

Hi,

So I was testing which kind of message structure would be the best fit
for sending out messages with more than one signature part. I tried 3
things:

1) Message according to [1]this(having two signature parts in a
'multipart/mixed' part inside 'multipart/signed' message. My
MUA(*mu4e*[2]) fails to find any signature part at all in this

2) A 'multipart/alternative' message with each part having same
structure and each one having different signature. Now although from
rfc2046[3] it is not a thumb rule to have different 'content-type' for
each alternative part in a 'multipart/alternative', but I think MUAs
would get confused if they find both alternative parts completely
same(in structure). My MUA shows both parts and thus repeats data.
Although it shows two signature parts too.

3) This third type was just my idea, does not follow rfc3156 obviously.
I simply added another signature part to the original message and my MUA
reads it nicely showing two signatures.

I have attached all 3 type of message, each in a different file. Please
can you place it in your maildir and check how your MUAs respond to it
and report here? The message signature will not be verified(the
signature text is actually gibberish), this experiment is just to check
how the MUAs handle the message with such a structure.

[1]: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-openpgp-multsig-02
[2]: http://www.djcbsoftware.nl/code/mu/mu4e.html
[3]: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2046#section-5.1.4
--