[Mailman-Developers] GSoC 2014 : Proposal for the Mailman CLI project

Abhilash Raj raj.abhilash1 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 16:12:23 CEST 2014

Hi Rajeev,

Congratulations! We look forward to a great summer with you.

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 3:47 PM, Rajeev S <rajeevs1992 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My proposal has been successfully accepted into the GSoC 2014 program.I
> would like to thank the Mailman community and mentors for their extensive
> support during my application process,especially Mr. Stephen Turnbull.
>
> Also I have a few questions as part of the community bonding process.
>
> 1.Is the project to be developed as an independent project or as a
> part/branch of the Mailman Core repository

That is supposed to be an implementation detail of your proposal. What do
you
think would be the best?

> 2.If it is an Independent project, Is it OK to use the
> git+gitorious/savannah or should I stick to bzr+launchpad? I have used git
> extensively,naturally more comfortable with git.However, I can pick up bzr
> if necessary.

Even if it is an independent project we strongly encourage you to use bzr,
as
integration and code review might become a problem in later stages of your
project( I am speaking from personal experience). Learning bzr and launchpad
is not at all difficult if you know git.

> 3.Is it necessary for me to hangout in the IRC?If yes, when?

It is not *necessary* for you to hangout on IRC. You just need to keep
your mentors updated about what are you doing all the time. If you prefer
email, I don't think that would be a problem. Your only responsibility
is to deliver the project you proposed on time.

4.Can I start coding right away?

You can, but first be sure you know what you want to code. Your proposal
does have a detailed description on working of the tool, however there is
little mention about the details of implementation and design. It would
be best if you first consult with your mentors and decide on something so
that you don't waste time writing code that is not needed.

> Thank you once again!
>

> *Regards,Rajeev S*
> *Government Engineering College,Thrissur*
> *http://rajeevs.tk <http://rajeevs.tk>*
>

> On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 6:50 PM, Rajeev S <rajeevs1992 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Made a minor edit upon Meflin's comment, asking to change project title.
> >
> > http://myfossblog.blogspot.in/2014/03/yet-another-change.html
> >

> > *Regards,Rajeev S*
> > *Government Engineering College,Thrissur*
> > *http://rajeevs.tk <http://rajeevs.tk>*
> >

> > On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 3:50 PM, Rajeev S <rajeevs1992 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have submitted a proposal for the Mailman CLI project through
> >> melange.You can find it here
> >>

> https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/student/google/gsoc2014/rajeevs1992/5629499534213120
> >>
> >> (Organisation view only)
> >>
> >> I have gone through the suggestions by Stephen as comments to the
> >> proposal and revised the proposal accordingly.
> >>
> >> http://myfossblog.blogspot.in/2014/03/gsoc-proposal-to-gnu-mailman.html
> >>

> >> *Regards,Rajeev S*
> >> *Government Engineering College,Thrissur*
> >> *http://rajeevs.tk <http://rajeevs.tk>*

Abhilash Raj