[Mailman-Developers] GSoC 2014 : Proposal for the Mailman CLI project

Abhilash Raj raj.abhilash1 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 07:12:28 CEST 2014

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 6:14 PM, Rajeev S <rajeevs1992 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Stephen,
>
> The CLI project would be a sub module for the mailman.client project.
>

> Since bzr does not have the submodule feature, I must be doing it either
> by using a new repository or as a new branch to mailman.client .The latter
> would be better as it would be easier to integrate the code into the
> mailman.client project when this project is completed.

Why do you want it to be a submodule in the first place? If you want to
extend
mailman.client they why not simply branch it?

> Now about the implementation part.As described in the project timeline,
> the first phase would be to build the command tools. I would be building
> two classes List and Domain, and identify the various methods that are to
> be given to them. Many of the methods are identified in my GSoC proposal.
> The command parsing would be handled by the python Optparse library.

Are users not going to be a part of this? Or you have thought of something
else
for managing users?

Also in your proposal I don't find any mention of user roles. How will you
manage
user roles? Is the command line tool that you want to build will only be
accessible
by the supersuser/admin? Or moderators and assigned list owners can also
use it
to do whatever it does? Also if you allow moderators and owners then you
probably
have to think of something about permissions to restrict everyone to use
the features
only specific to there role.

>From my point of view this project would (someday) be an command line
alternative to postorius for admin roles. Not that you have to do
everything in this summer, but it
should be kept in mind while you work on it.

Also may I suggest you to use argparse instead of optparse -- it is now
depricated
since py2.7.

I would like to start building the Version 0, but not to throw away, but
> will be refining it further as per the feedback. If all this is OK I would
> start building the version and push it to the mailman.client project.

You probably should figure out everything before you jump on to coding. The
time till
19th May is allotted for community bonding and there is a reason for that.
Try to
understand how new features are discussed in here(mailman community) before
becoming python statements.

I don't know if you already have, but try to read the source code and
understand the
coding style Barry prefers. There is a style guide for mailman, find it
out.

And forget about the git vs bzr part. I am OK with using bzr :).

> Great.

thanks,
Abhilash Raj