[Mailman-Developers] Invalid HTML in mailman 2.1.18

Andrew Daviel advax at triumf.ca
Fri Aug 8 03:53:09 CEST 2014

I have wasted some time trying to get mailman 2.1.18 archives and webpages
to pass the W3C online validator (validator.w3.org) - a probably
pointless exercise if 2.1 is not under active development.

However, there are a few pieces of low-hanging-fruit.

- in the mailto URLs in templates, the &In-Reply-To parameter should be
   escaped to become &In-Reply-To (a browser will unescape it before
   passing the URL to a mail client)
- <script> in template headers requires a content type, i.e.
   <script type="text/javascript">

- in the administration pages, HTML elements such as <table> are not
   allowed to be nested inside <address>. That's a bit harder to fix
   without changing the appearance of the pages, and most of those pages
   are not visible to the public anyway.

- in templates/*/admlogin.html and private.html, <td colspan=2 align=middle> should probably
   read <td colspan=2 align="center">

- templates/*/listinfo.html appears to have an empty <ul></ul> pair
   surrounding <MM-Subscribe-Form-Start> which the validator does not like.
   I suspect it's used to get an indent with no item marker.

- templates/*/private.html appears to have an empty <p> somewhere around
   line 40. I made the validator happy by inserting  .

Making HTML5-compliant archives seems just about possible, HTML5 admin
pages rather less so without effort. The rel=made header that worked with,
I think, Lynx and maybe Mosaic is now unrecognized and useless and should
probably be dropped altogether.

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
Tel. +1 (604) 222-7376  (Pacific Time)