[Mailman-Developers] Proposed incompatible changes to the REST API

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Sat Aug 30 19:03:04 CEST 2014

On Aug 27, 2014, at 02:52 PM, Florian Fuchs wrote:

>We're still in beta, so I think breaking backwards compatibility is
>justifiable (we should probably coordinate the release of the affected
>packages though).

Cool, and yes, definitely.

>If we want to make our lives a little easier we could keep the
>"address" and "password" properties as proxy attributes in
>mailman.client to minimize the risk of things breaking. At least for a
>while.

That sounds reasonable.

>In the future (once we're out of beta) we could mabye just bump up the
>API version number in cases like that. BTW: Should the API version nr
>always correspond with the core's version number? Like core version
>3.0.12 => "http://localhost:8001/3.0"?

That was my original plan.  It means that within beta releases, the API would
be free to change (I'm not sure /3.0.12b1 would be worth it).  TBH I haven't
actually tried to see what it would mean to rev the API version path
component.  Maybe it could insert a flag on the request that end-points could
refer to if they wanted emit some different JSON, or some responder along the
path could dispatch to a different end-point if needed.  In theory <wink>, it
seems quite doable.

I'm really hoping the falcon guys will accept my patch, or at least work with
us to get restish-style dispatch working.  I *really* want to switch to
falcon.

Cheers,