[Mailman-Developers] Python 3

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Fri Dec 26 22:34:57 CET 2014

On Dec 27, 2014, at 08:21 AM, Andrew Stuart wrote:

>If it is released to version 1.0 with support for Python 2 then it will need
>to support Python 2 for the forseeable future. It’ll be deployed all over the
>place with Python 2 - when would the Python 2 be removed ever after 1.0?
>David Murray has made substantial changes to email in Py3 - supporting those
>in both 2 and 3 could be an open question. A Python 3-only version 1.0 has
>the longer term gain of never having to write mixed 2/3 code after 1.0.

Exactly.  I'm highly motivated to not release the *core* under Python 2 for
the reasons you state above.  Personally speaking, I've been so immersed in
Python 3 for almost all my other projects (both work and play) that continuing
to hack in Python 2 seems like I'm taking down my dinner with pointed
sticks. ;)

After finishing the port, I think it's impractical to try to have the core
support both Python 2 and 3.  There's *a lot* of great new stuff in the Python
3 email package, and while I'm still mostly using the legacy API, I did have
to use some of the new stuff to do Subject prefix munging correctly.  I expect
that as time goes on, we'll need to adopt more of the new email APIs in order
to fix bugs, add features, and do things more efficiently.  That's not even
talking about so much of the other great new stdlib stuff available in Python
3.

Cheers,