[Mailman-Developers] Mailman 3: Problem with binding REST server to custom address

Tim Marx tim at xrammit.de
Sun Feb 2 16:17:42 CET 2014

Hi,
I'm testing the new REST API of Mailman 3 at the moment and installed
Mailman 3.0.0b3 on Ubuntu Server 12.04 in VirtualBox following the steps
in docs/START.rst (with virtualenv).
I got Mailman running without errors but I can't change the IP address
the REST server binds to. I would like to bind the REST server for
development to the address 0.0.0.0 to access it from outside of the
VirtualBox with Port Mapping.
I tried with a custom settings file 'mailman.cfg' in my Mailman working
directory in which I set the property hostname to 0.0.0.0. Now when I
call 'mailman info' it shows the custom defined hostname in line
starting with 'REST root url'  but I can't access the API from outside
the virtual machine and the command 'netstat -lntpu' displays that the
REST server process was bound to the address 127.0.0.1 and therefore is
of course only accessible from localhost.
To eliminate any configuration mistakes of my virtual machine or python
I wrote a simple python script that starts a server with the wsgi
library and I had no problems to bind this server to 0.0.0.0.
I appreciate any ideas and tips!

Regards, Tim