[Mailman-Developers] Updating the template HTML and including CSS?

Ricardo Lafuente r at manufacturaindependente.org
Thu Feb 6 13:18:27 CET 2014

Hi everyone,

I have a little itch with Mailman and would like to know the best way to
scratch it for everyone.

I've looked into the current bzr version and the templates are still
very old HTML, using hard-coded styles and, in some places, incorrect
markup and unclosed tags (I can dig some examples up if necessary.)
I can't come up with a proper reason to keep using outdated HTML, but
I'm happy to be corrected if there is a specific reason to keep it so.

I've also found an attempt to bring the markup up to date in this bug
report with an attached patch from 4 years ago;

   https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/398030

However, the patch is pretty large and incorporating it into the
codebase would be non-trivial (plus it's certainly outdated), so I
understand why it's been sitting there forgotten.

I'd like to take up the task of reviewing the patch and create a branch
where changes would be properly documented in commit logs, following the
Mailman development guidelines, so that it could be easily merged into
the main branch.

I would only like to ask the Mailman devs if this would be a desirable
goal, since it only makes sense for me to work on this if there's
openness for this to be included in the main branch.

I've searched for previous instances of this discussion, so please
excuse me if I missed any existing efforts on this front, and would
appreciate any kind of pointers with regards to updating HTML and
including CSS in Mailman templates.

Thank you!
:r