[Mailman-Developers] GSoC 2014 ideas list

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Thu Feb 6 20:21:36 CET 2014

On Feb 06, 2014, at 07:11 PM, Florian Fuchs wrote:

>1. A continuous integration tool for the Mailman suite.

Very much +1.

I like the development model where we have a gatekeeper against merges to the
trunk better than post-merge buildbot-style validations.  That way, we know
that only merges that pass the test suite will land on trunk, so it should
always be releaseable.

The downside to that is that the gatekeeper is usually one exact setup (e.g. a
specific version of the OS, a specific choice for backend database, a specific
Python version, etc.)  buildbots/jenkins, etc. then augment that to make sure
that we haven't regressed on supporting PostgreSQL, MySQL, PythonX.Y, etc.

>2. A responsive ui for Postorius

Very much +1.  Another thought would be to support an app that you could
install on Android or iOS (or Ubuntu Touch? :) to more directly control a
Postorius server.

>3. Various Python 3 ports

Very much +1.  More on this later.

>4. Postorius: Improve the test suite

+1

>- - Migration Scripts from MM 2.1 to MM 3

abompard has a merge proposal that I've been slowly working through here.

>- - Design interface "themes" for specific types of list

Styles, yes, this would be nice and very doable for GSoC.

>- - Enhance List Style Capabilities
>- - Full anonymization (obfuscating sender addresses)
>- - No-logging mode
>- - Log monitor
>

>Any comments or (even better) more ideas?
>

>I am planning to complete the ideas page by the end of the week
>(probably over the weekend), so I can submit our GSoC application on
>Monday or Tuesday... Of course we can theoretically add more after the
>deadline, but since the ideas page is the most important ingredient of
>the application, it would be *a lot* better if we had all projects on
>it before Friday 14.

Thanks for doing this Florian and to Terri for getting the ball rolling.