[Mailman-Developers] GSoC 2014 ideas list

Patrick Ben Koetter p at sys4.de
Mon Feb 10 00:23:55 CET 2014

* Florian Fuchs <flo.fuchs at gmail.com>:

> On 02/07/2014 10:22 PM, Patrick Ben Koetter wrote:
> > Dunno, if this is there yet, but a command line client for admins
> > that allows to create lists, configure them via list templates,
> > backup configs etc. would be a nice thing to have.
>
> +1!
>
> Maybe starting with a "local" version first (meaning: running on the
> same host as Mailman, with unrestricted REST API access -- I guess it
> might be enough work for one GSoC project to build a nice CL interface
> for the most important functionality). But with an option to add
> remote access with more advanced authentication/authorization at a
> later time.

ACK

> > Personally I would also like to see SNMP support to monitor mailman
> > in larger installations.
>
> I'm adding it to the ideas page. Would you like to provide a short
> description of what you have in mind, so I can add that too?

Unfortunately I am short on time. Here's a brief description:

The idea is to add SNMP capabilities to MM. The SNMP interface should follow
the FCAPS model <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FCAPS>. What exactly that means
for an MLM and MM in specific is something I'd expect the project to layout
and implement (in parts).

I would, for example, like to know how many mailing lists there are, how many
people subscribed to each mailinglist, how many non-subscribed senders send to
the mailinglist etc. pp.

I can come up with a list of items to examine and count if this becomes a
project.

p at rick

--
[*] sys4 AG