[Mailman-Developers] GSOC Idea : Continuous integration tool for the mailman suite and postorius improvements

Varun Sharma varun at sharmalabs.com
Mon Feb 10 16:11:38 CET 2014

Hello everyone,

I will be applying this year too for mailman and this time i'll be putting
my best effort. I just went through gsoc ideas list posted by florian today
and i am thinking of combining multiple projects listed on ideas page into
a single project which i think i'll be able to complete within given
timeframe.

*Project : Continuous integration tool for the mailman suite and postorius
improvements*

*Continuous integration tool for mailman suite:*
Everyone will agree on the fact that installing mailman 3 suite is little
bit complex.
We can we use buildbot's/jenkin's intergration and unit tests to make sure
everything is working fine. I am not sure whether we should use buildbot or
jenkins but i think as buildbot is written in python, so it will be easy to
integrate. I really need suggestions and guidance from community on this.

*Postorius improvements:*
Postorius has improved a lot from what it was one year back but i think
there are few improvements that can be done like:

*Test Suite:*
1. Writing doctests and unit tests for all the postorius data flow.
(I intend to complete all the unit tests and doctests for postorius
simultaniously, so it will be easy to understand and extend)

*UI:*
1. Option to convert mailman user to django user and vice-versa.
(Right now new django users can only be created via persona, i think we
should have an option to convert mailman users into django users and maybe
give an option to sign up without persona)

2. Better user info display by adding UserProfile class.
(Last year it was under community discussions whether to create an extra
UserProfile class for users to save their extra info, i think this issue
needs further discussions in community)

3. Adding ToDo functionality.
(This is a little bit complex thing to implement but last year i had short
discussions with barry and wacky about possible implementations in
postorius and they told that something like this is available in core
mailman)

4. Responsive css
(Adding responsible css is important but won't take more than 1-2 days to
implement)

I will be posting my code updates on https://code.launchpad.net/~varun . I
need guidance from community on the best approach and practice to implement
my project.

Thanks
Varun