[Mailman-Developers] Add moderators from the command line

Rajeev S rajeevs1992 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 08:44:33 CEST 2014

Hi,

On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 4:29 PM, ML mail <mlnospam at yahoo.com.dmarc.invalid>
wrote:

> Yes, I guess something like a "-m" option would be good to specify that
> the e-mails being added with the "-a" option are moderators. Right now I
> have switched to using the REST API as it has all features I need, great
> work btw!
>

> On Saturday, July 26, 2014 12:20 AM, Barry Warsaw <barry at list.org> wrote:
>

> On Jul 24, 2014, at 02:03 PM, 'ML mail' via barry wrote:
>

> >In Mailman3 it would be nice to be able to add moderators to a mailing
> list
> >from the command line using the mailman command. Currently I can only see
> the
> >possibility to add new members to a mailing list, or did I miss something
> >here?
>
> You're not missing anything.  The CLI for adding members isn't fantastic -
> you
> have to provide a file with one member per line.  The way to extend this
> would
> be to be able to specify the members' role when adding them.  I haven't
> thought of an elegant way to do this via the CLI, especially when multiple
> members can be added.  Once a good interface is designed, it would be
> pretty
> easy to write the code to do it.

The CLI I built as part of GSoC 2014 supports the above features

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~rajeevs1992/mailman.client/mailmancli

It is based on the REST API.

To Add moderators you can do

./mmclient add-moderator list list at domain.org --user a at b.com b at c.com ...

Similarly to add owners do

./mmclient add-owner list list at domain.org --user a at b.com b at c.com

To add normal members

./mmclient subscribe user user1 at bar.com user2 at bar.com --list list at domain.org

You might want to install the PLY library [
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/ply/3.4] to test the CLI fully.