[Mailman-Developers] SUBMIT and OpenID, was Two more DMARC mitigations

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Jun 17 04:28:11 CEST 2014

John Levine writes:

 > After digging through a festival of acronyms, I ended up at RFC
 > 6616.

Thank you!

 > There are certainly OpenID libraries, but I don't know to what extent
 > anyone has written the code to splice them into SASL.

Were we (on dmarc at ietf) talking all along about OpenID when we wrote
"OAuth"?  They're different, although I don't know exactly how or why
(and neither RFC made obvious mention of the other :-( ).

I'm not sure who you know among the authors of that RFC, but I've
worked with Simon Josefsson, who would surely help if he has time, and
has done a lot of implementation.  (I suspect Barry knows him too.)
Given that Simon is on the side of SASL/OpenID vs. OAuth, I suspect
that OpenID is the more practical of the two standards.

 > I would propose doing the submission hack, explicitly noting that SASL
 > has a variety of different ways to authenticate with different
 > usability and security trade offs.

I think that's a good starting point for discussion.  With a little
luck it could be quite close to eventual implementation, too. :-)

Steve