[Mailman-Developers] [GSoC 2014] Command line Client

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Mar 4 10:49:57 CET 2014

Rajeev S writes:

 > The deliverables of the project would be, at the least,
 >
 >    - Command line tools to perform tasks in the mailman client docs

I think there should be one tool with multiple commands.  These can be
implemented by separate commands in a directory off the normal PATH if
you like, or with annoyingly long names (a la git's scripting interface).

 >    - Any Extra useful functionalities that can be identified, such as
 >      export, backup
 >    - Other Useful tools like backup and restore.
 >    - Man Page entries for the new commands

These look good to me.  Also, a help command to display the man pages
from the new tool.

 > Also, I did not quite get the "*coming up with a **great layout *"
 > part. Do you mean to build a custom shell for mailman? If yes, what
 > extra functionality should it provide than the standard command
 > line tools?

I think that probably is what he means, but I personally don't think
that's appropriate.  If people want a "CLI with layout" (which I agree
is plausible), what's wrong with Postorius via Lynx?  (Florian?)

I suggest you should concentrate on the syntax of the command line,
possibly building on the existing mailmanctl tool.  (But let's check
with Barry on that before you put in much effort!)

Steve