[Mailman-Developers] MM 3 and Postfix + Apache

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Fri Mar 7 23:06:32 CET 2014

On Mar 07, 2014, at 10:07 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>Usually Postfix is configured to route mail with a set of sendmail-
>like aliases files, so you just define different alias files for each
>Mailman installation and configure Postfix to look at them with the
>alias_database directive in postfix/main.cf.  I guess Mailman itself
>can be used to generate them without much trouble.
>
>What I can't help with on Postfix, and something I suspect Barry will
>be concerned with, is virtual domains where dom1 prefers the tried and
>true (Mailman2) and dom2 is ready to try something new (Mailman3).  In
>Exim this is no harder; the routers just check for the virtual domain
>as well as the mailbox and config files.  I don't know how Postfix
>would handle this; the alias files only know about mailboxes as far as
>I know.  The virtual domains are sorted out by a different mechanism.

From src/mailman/docs/MTA.rst, we set these Postfix variables:

    transport_maps =
        hash:/path-to-mailman/var/data/postfix_lmtp
    local_recipient_maps =
        hash:/path-to-mailman/var/data/postfix_lmtp
    relay_domains =
        hash:/path-to-mailman/var/data/postfix_domains

and then mm3 writes those files and postmaps them to keep them current.

The thing that I haven't checked is if you have some mm2 lists that obviously
would not be defined in the above files, does Postfix fall back to delivering
the messages to mm2's mail command?