[Mailman-Developers] GSoC 2014 - Porting hyperkitty to Python 3.x info

Ravi Kumar upman16 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 20:42:50 CET 2014

Hello everyone,
I'm Ravi Kumar, an undergrad Computer Science and Engineering student based
in Bangalore. I'm familiar with Source code management with git and
comfortable with Python, Ruby and C. I'm familiar with django and the MVC
approach, although I haven't made any real contributions to open-source
projects. So this is all the more exciting to me. I see GSoC as a very good
opportunity to learn and also give  something back to the community.

I was going through the Ideas page and was interested in porting Hyperkitty
and Postorius on to python 3.x and I had a bunch of questions.

1. Are there any constraints the community places on the strategy that is
to be
    adopted to port the apps or is are the strategies up to the person
submitting the
    proposal?
2. What versions of django should the ports be compatible across?
3. How reliable and thorough are the unit tests that are in place?
4. Should the ports be polyglots supporting Python 2.6-3.x or just support
python
    3.3? Since mailman plans to support only Python 3.x in the future?

Thanks,
Ravi Kumar