[Mailman-Developers] Moderation rules priority

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Mar 13 09:06:56 CET 2014

Barry Warsaw writes:

 > I'm having a hard time right now seeing how we could continue to
 > support these types of operations with a combined member and
 > non-member rule.

I expressed myself poorly.  The parameters of the decision logic given
the list of senders are different for the two rules so both rules are
needed.  But I really think that determining the sender should be done
in one place by one set of principles, separated from the "to post or
to moderate" logic.  Maybe we could use all_senders, member_senders,
and apparent_sender properties (where the last is Mailman's best guess
at who's reponsible for sending the mail for the purpose of
moderation), or perhaps just apparent_sender and sender_is_member
properties.

 > I *think* the right solution may be to continue to keep the rules
 > separate, but add an extra check to the nonmember-moderation rule,
 > such that if any of the senders are members, then the rule cannot hit.

This is horrible.  You've already done that check in the Member rule.

It's OK as a stop-gap, I don't really object applying to Aurelian's
patch in principle, because I think it should be fixed now.  The
meta-rules about how to compose rulesets need discussion before doing
anything more invasive.