[Mailman-Developers] Getting mentor attention [was: Mailman SNMP support]

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Fri Mar 14 16:08:27 CET 2014

On Mar 11, 2014, at 12:55 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>Barry isn't official in GSoC, but he's head of the Mailman project and
>a ranking demi-god in the Pytheon.  Also crazy busy, so you may get a
>polite brushoff.  OTOH, he can probably solve Mailman problems in half
>the time of anybody else.  And if Barry asks for help, someone will
>respond.

I'm probably pretty useless about any GSoC specific questions.  To the extent
that I have any use at all, I am happy to discuss any technical detail about
Mailman 3.  In general, I prefer email, since I can usually block out some
time to answer detailed questions, and the mailing list archives are a
wonderful historical resource.  I highly advise students to mine them, either
via the mail.python.org interface, or my favorite, the Gmane NNTP interface
(newsgroup: gmane.mail.mailman.devel).

Pinging me on IRC (barry @ freenode: #mailman) is fine.  I'm almost always
online during weekdays approximately UTC 1300 - 2200 (we're in DST), but only
a ping will get my attention.  Don't be put off if I encourage you to take
your questions to the mailing list.  If I think the answer would be of general
use to the developer community, that's often a better place than on an IRC
channel only a small number of people participate in, and for which no good
search options exist.

Please be a little patient while waiting for me to respond.  Steve's right,
I'm crazy busy.  But if you don't hear from me within 4 or 5 days, a polite
ping can help me switch contexts.

Cheers,