[Mailman-Developers] [GSoC 2014] Mailman CLI Project

Tom Browder tom.browder at gmail.com
Sat May 3 16:59:08 CEST 2014

On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 8:44 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
> Tom Browder writes:
>
>  > I haven't watched this entire thread, but I hope someone is
>  > considering setting appropriate defaults for at least two mailing list
>  > types such as:
>  >
>  >   read-only (news)
>  >   read-post (moderated or not)
>
> Not in that terminology, no.  What do you hope to type, and what
> effect do you want it to have?

We had a little discussion last year about list styles.  See this thread:

  http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-developers%40python.org/msg13369.html

I think this GSoC project might be the place to at least start with
the option of choosing a list "style" such as a defined  "read-only"
mailing list.

Using the latest cli commands as shown in Rajeev's
/src/mailmanclient/cli/docs/using.txt would be for the "default" list
style:

  test_one = example.create_list('test-one')

Then, for other styles, we could use something like (pardon my pseudo code):

  test_one = example.create_list('test-one', style='read-only')

Looking briefly at the cli code I see nothing about the list
attributes Barry mentioned in last year's thread referenced above, so
I'm not sure how this would all fit together, but I think it needs to
be considered.

I hope this makes some sense from a very interested user.

Best regards,

-Tom