[Mailman-Developers] [GSoC 2014] Mailman CLI Project

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Mon May 12 17:42:11 CEST 2014

On May 11, 2014, at 10:37 PM, Rajeev S wrote:

>I have modified the CLI to use English like commands and hence will
>use them hereafter.
>
>*list*
>
>The command lists the entities and should be available for users,mailing
>lists and domains.
>
>mmclient list list [list at domain.org] [-v for verbose]
>mmclient list user [list at domain.org] [-v for verbose] [--role ROLE]
>mmclient list domain [domain.org] [-v for verbose]

A better name might be `show` since the term "list" is so overloaded in this
context.  Here's it's being used as a verb and a noun to refer to different
concepts, and I think that's confusing.

Also as a general rule, I think we want just one level of subcommand, so that
`mmclient show --list` would be the template.  (That's open to discussion.)

>*Role management*
>
>User roles can be managed by two actions, addrole and
>removerole, rather than 6 separate actions for subscribe, unsubscribe,
>addowner, addmoderator, removeowner, removemoderator

Yuck.  Sorry but I'd like to discourage the use of made up or concatenated
words.  It's okay for some options to be multi-word separated by dashes,
e.g. --affect-bar or --change-foo.

I don't have a good alternative atm.

>*Preferences/settings*
>
>Settings would form a new `scope`, commands for which can be implemented
>in a fairly straightforward way.
>
>mmclient set setting <setting name> --value <value>

E.g.

mmclient set --key <name> --value <value>