[Mailman-Developers] [GSoC 2014] Mailman CLI Project

Patrick Ben Koetter p at sys4.de
Thu May 29 21:16:33 CEST 2014

* Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org>:
> Patrick Ben Koetter writes:
>
>  > I doubt anyone that igorant of e-mail and how it works will ever
>  > make it to the MM3 command line client, but yes, such cases do
>  > exist.
>
> I think they're actually likely to be reasonably common.
>
>  > However I think the use case "prepare Mailman to handle mail for a
>  > domain it doesn't handle mail for yet" exists and we should find a
>  > way to deal with it.
>
> Indeed.  I'm suggesting that the routine could check the DNS and a few
> other things, and present the list operator with a TODO list.  Sortof
> like check_perms.

Where would you start with the TODO list? Where would you end?

>  > > Deleting a list should be immediate, but I agree it should be confirmed.
>  >
>  > ... and it should be possible to pass the confirmation in the command to make
>  > it useful in scripts.
>
> Ooh, that is a very good point.  Bessides "possible," the syntax for
> doing that should be regular.

I'm hopping in on this and I certainly missed most of the discussion on the
command line client: Do we have interface guidelines for commands? Shortopts,
longopts, interaction, non-interactive behaviour/requirements?

> I wonder about distinguishing "yes to this prompt" and "yes to all"?

Me too.

> Probably scripts should not be using commands that need multiple
> confirmations, though.

Hmmm, Unix: Do one thing. Do it well. ?

--
[*] sys4 AG