[Mailman-Developers] Changing the default_moderation_action has no effect on existing members

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Tue Nov 25 22:05:13 CET 2014

On Nov 25, 2014, at 11:46 AM, Aurelien Bompard wrote:

>As a result, unless I'm missing something changing, the list's
>default_moderation_action has no effect on existing members. Do I
>understand correctly?

That is correct.  As Steve points out, the intent is that this setting is
initialization not fallback.

I think this does work differently in MM2.1, but that version's schema isn't
really sophisticated enough to do anything different.  There, members have a
moderation flag which gets initialized from default_member_moderation.  Then,
if the member's flag is set, member_moderation_action (a list setting) is
taken.  So I guess in the case of moderated members, there is a fallback
action, and while there is no member-specific action, there is a
member-specific state.

MM3 collapses that so that rather than having a flag with a fallback action,
each member just has an action.  This allows you more flexibility in
controlling an individual member's posting privileges, at the cost of having
to change all members individually if a list's default changes.  Can you
elaborate on the use case for having a fallback action?

Note that in MM3, nonmembers are technically members too, but with a
'nonmember' role, so the same moderation action flag controls their posting
privileges too.  This replaces MM2.1's generic_nonmember_action and the crufty
lists of {accept,hold,reject,discard}_these_nonmembers.

Cheers,