[Mailman-Developers] Mailman introducing spurious References: or In-Reply-To: headers?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Oct 28 18:26:56 CET 2014

On 10/28/2014 12:47 AM, Hosnieh Rafiee wrote:

> I have tried even to forward and reply (change the sender to myself) of another message to myself. The header did not contain any reply to. Whatever happens is in IETF part and not the MUA in my side.
>
> But in any case, I have started a new message. My message did not have any similarities to the other message except, it might be a word "privacy" in subject or content. Besides that there was no similarity.

Exactly what do you mean by "started a new message"? If you mean you
selected 'new', 'write', 'mail', 'compose' or whatever you do in your
mail client to compose a brand new message, then that message should be
sent with no References: or In-Reply-To; headers.

On the other hand, if you start with 'reply', 'reply-all', 'reply-list'
or similar, even if you subsequently remove and replace everything in
the visible message headers and body, the message you send is still a
reply and will contain whatever References: and/or In-Reply-To; headers
that your client normally includes in replies.