[Mailman-Developers] mailman.client and UUIDs for user.user_id

Aurelien Bompard aurelien at bompard.org
Wed Oct 29 17:27:19 CET 2014

Hi Florian!

I think mailmanclient should not expose a different value as the REST
> API does (the fact that it's an int representation of a uuid isn't
> exactly obvious from the outside, so a non-explicit conversion could
> potentially lead to some confusion).

Hmm, to me the current situation is more confusing, since the user_id
property I get from the REST API is different from the one I find in the
database.
I guess it depends on the reason the UUID is serialized. If it's to avoid
being messed up during the transport, it's a transport issue and I think
the library should convert it back (but the original ascii string should
not be a problem so it's probably not that.
Anyone remembers why the REST API exposes the int value instead of the
string? It happened in commit 7043 but the reason is not given in the
commit message.

> But how about we add a `uuid` property to the user object which
> exposes the original uuid value?

Not sure that's useful, converting it back to an UUID is easy enough (
uuid.UUID(int=value) )

A.