[Mailman-Developers] JAVA API to administer Mailman

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sun Sep 7 02:02:13 CEST 2014

Alexander Hachmann writes:

 > So my question is, whether there already is a liabrary written in
 > Java that connects to Mailman? This way I would save development
 > effort.

For Mailman 2, there probably is no specific library in any language,
because Mailman 2 is a Web 1.0 application that just presents HTML to
clients (presumably browsers).  So any language that can deal with
HTTP, parse HTML, and "scrape the screens" could be used.  But it
could be annoying if it needs to deal with multiple Mailman versions
or multiple languages, as there is no provision for introspection, so
you would need to prepare for each version or language separately.

For Mailman 3, there is the REST API which can be used, and there are
several Python applications that provide alternative APIs and UIs in
development.  It's possible that those can be run on the JVM using the
Jython implementation of Python, but I don't know if Jython can be
embedded in a Java application.  (It is possible for Jython to call
other Java libraries, though, so if you're lucky you might be able to
translate your main program to Python and do most development in
Java.)

 > The Version I am using is 2.1.4.

Really?  That is very old (close to a decade), has security and other
flaws, and does not address recent problems with Internet mail
(specifically "DMARC") at all.  You would be well-advised to upgrade
to 2.1.18-1, if you are not going to make the jump to Mailman 3 (which
is still in beta).

Steve