[Mailman-Developers] Welcome to GSoC 2015

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Apr 28 03:36:41 CEST 2015

Florian Fuchs writes:
 > Fellow friends of Mailman, dear students,
 >
 > welcome to GSoC 2015 (the Mailman edition)!

Congratulations to all of the applicants on the high quality of
applications!

For those who were not selected, I'd be happy to discuss your
applications off-list (and by mail, not IRC, I'm still catching up on
$DAYJOB so replies may take a few days).

 > But now, without further ado, let's welcome our three GSoC
 > students:

Congratulations to the selected students!

And a personal note:

 > Bhavesh Goyal - A Dashboard for Admins/Owners/Moderators
 > Mentors: Abhilash Raj, Sneha Priscilla Makini

I've mentored a similar project in the past (Shanu Salunke's "Mailman
Interface" for Systers), so feel free to include me in discussions.

That said, speaking as an individual mentor, I would really like to
see most technical discussions take place on this list, or at least be
summarized here.  I hope folks not participating in GSoC will bear
with us (hi, Andrew! some of your older posts are in my queue, someday
soon...).  Besides wanting to see what students I'm *not* mentoring
are up to, we've had issues in the past where a project went off in an
unprofitable (ie, hard to integrate) direction when the mentor and
student were communicating almost exclusively in personal mail and IRC
direct messages.

Although your mentor has a *responsibility* to answer you, the rest of
us care and want to contribute, and that's easiest if you post to this
list.

Here's to a fun and productive summer for everyone!

Steve