[Mailman-Developers] mailman 3.0 roadmap, feature-parity with mailman 2.x and documentation

shirish shirish at hamaralinux.org
Tue Apr 28 21:47:11 CEST 2015

Hi all,

Thank you for the unblemished service by Mailman. It is due to you that
many FOSS projects continue to see the light of the day as email
continues to hold its sway on developers rather than forums and mail
management continues to be easier due to Mailman.

Newbie here. I have been reading the Mailman wiki page specifically
http://wiki.list.org/DEV/Mailman%203.0

Now from the wiki page :-

"We aim to release Mailman 3.0rc1 in late April, 2015." - wiki entry

While RC1 is hopefully round the corner there doesn't seem to be a
roadmap at least within mailman. The launchpad series gives the following :-

https://launchpad.net/mailman/+series

What would be nice is if there is some ETA as to when 3.0 will be
released to the general public. Are there going to be another 2-3-4 RC
releases before 3.0 is ready ?

Another query :-

" It is not yet at full feature parity with Mailman 2.x, but we're
working on that for 3.1. "  - wiki entry on the same page.

While this is good to know, is there a matrix of features somewhere
which shows features of mailman 2.x vs mailman 3.0 . I am unable to find
such a page in the wiki or perhaps I didn't search enough.

In any case if there is a listing of features of both mailman 3.x and
mailman 2.x  would be helpful for both newbies as well as experienced
users as it will look like a snapshot of the features integrated or used
in the new release. It doesn't have to be finished today but if there is
even some information about the existence of such a page with
differences between 2.x and 3.x would be immensely helpful.

Lastly, the documentation for 3.0.x seems to be a good way at
http://gnu-mailman.readthedocs.org/en/latest/ would be nicer if there
was a way to generate .pdf from the content therein.

Look forward to trying out Mailman 3 soonish.
--
Regards,
Shirish Agarwal,