[Mailman-Developers] Interest in contributing to opensource (mailman)

Terri Oda terri at toybox.ca
Sat Aug 22 08:01:57 CEST 2015

On 2015-08-04 7:15 PM, Amate Yolande wrote:
> Hello
>
> My name is Amate Yolande, a second year Computer Science student from
> the University of Buea Cameroon. I am new to open source and interested in
> contributing to mailman. I am primarily a Python programmer with basic
> knowledge of Javascript and Django. I have successfully installed and run
> mailman3 with Postorius and Hyperkitty locally, but I have no prior
> experience with mailman so  I would like to get directives on some
> beginners tasks to help me familiarize myself with mailman.

Hi Yolande!

We try to tag our bugs as "beginner-friendly" or "easy" when we think
they might be suitable for new contributors:

https://gitlab.com/mailman/postorius/issues?label_name=beginner-friendly
https://gitlab.com/mailman/postorius/issues?label_name=easy
https://gitlab.com/mailman/hyperkitty/issues?label_name=easy
https://gitlab.com/mailman/mailman/issues?label_name=easy

There aren't a huge number of bugs in that category right now because we
cleaned up a lot of the easier bugs before the release earlier this
year, but one thing that is *always* helpful and reasonably beginner
friendly is adding more test cases.  There's a bug in postorius with a
few hints as to how to get started:

https://gitlab.com/mailman/postorius/issues/2

The other great thing to do as a beginner is to report bugs.  And that's
not just bugs in the software, but also bugs in the documentation: did
you find anything stupidly confusing when you set up your instance?  Is
there anything you found hard to find on the website?  Ask about it
here, and maybe file a bug or two so we don't forget to fix things!  It
really helps us to have people coming in and seeing all that stuff with
fresh eyes, so those are awesome things to do now before you get super
familiar with the process!

For example, having just answered this question, I can see that it would
be super awesome if we had a page on the website telling new users where
to find the easy bugs.  Would you like to file that bug to get you started?

You can do it from here:

https://gitlab.com/mailman/mailman-website/issues