[Mailman-Developers] Website re-org?

Adam McGreggor adam-mailman at amyl.org.uk
Sat Dec 5 13:21:09 EST 2015

On Sat, Dec 05, 2015 at 01:10:10AM -0800, Terri Oda wrote:
> 3. Find out how to report a bug
>
> We kind of fail on this one, except if you want to report a security
> issue.  Again, this is more complex than it might seem since there's
> a bunch of different components.

Would it be easier here, to list the components, and then maybe link
to the docs, and roadmap/issue tracker?

something better presented than:

| mailman 2         | stable version | docs  | bug tracker | mm-users |
| mailman bundler   | everything     | docs  | bug tracker | mm-devs  |
| posterious        |
| hyperkitty        |

or maybe a page linking to each item? Something like
https://www.mysociety.org/projects/components/ (usual disclosure: I'm
a co-founder of mySociety).

> 4. Find the docs / get help with an issue.
>
> The good: they're linked right there in the top bar.  The bad: is
> someone looking at this going to know they want the docs for
> postorius vs hyperkitty?  Will any of that make sense?  I think we
> might need a landing page here.

Maybe clarified in the above layout suggestion?

> * Get Mailman
> - Links to source code and install guides, high level description of
> what to do.

Possibly also things like packages.debian.org/mailman etc; homebrew; I
would expect that most people will install with their package manager,
despite what 'we' might prefer.

> * Help and Documentation
> - landing page with a link to the docs, wiki and mailing lists, with
> instructions.  Maybe some search boxes?  Userguides go here too.
> * Report an issue / Contact Us
> - landing page with reminder about reporting security bugs, links to
> bug trackers, mailing lists, irc

Link to the hot topics (dmarc, install, what ever's currently getting
the most hits in a given period)?

> * How to Contribute
> - new contributors guide here, prefaced by the basic source/gitlab links

Avoid duplication here, maybe, and just link to the Sphinx/RTD pages?
Fairly sure I've seen a CONTRIBUTE file, somewhere. Maybe also link to
coding standards (I think these are unified for the various
components).

> Thoughts on better ways to set this up?  Other suggestions of things
> people often want out of our website?

Do ordinary folk want to find "where can i get one of these set-up for
me" -- the vendors/hosting list, perhaps -- although maybe with some
sort of ratings thing (and a last updated / which versions).

--
"You can't say that, because it's true."
    (unnamed Russian censor, to Malcom Muggeridge, 1933)