[Mailman-Developers] Ideas for injecting test messages

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Feb 26 02:48:37 CET 2015

Abhilash Raj writes:

 > Questions and answers seperated by a 3 hour window makes me feel
 > like its not even a question,

Maybe we should add "suppress threads with self-responses" to Aanand's
list of plugins? :-)  (@Aanand -- it's impossible, so this is just a
joke.)

 > If anyone feels this was totally unnecessary, please correct me.

I don't think Andrew has been abusive, just enthusiastic.  That's just
a data point to say "YMMV but I had barely noticed".

If I were bothered, I probably would have mailed him personally rather
than posting to the net, or asked Barry and Mark out of band if
something should be said.

That said, self-replies should be *very* rare according to traditional
netiquette, and generally restricted to (1) corrections of substantive
errors in the query, and (2) the summary followup to "reply-to set to
me; will summarize" posts.  On the whole Internet, netiquette is
changing.  However, Mailman is an *old* project, and most of the
active developers have been around for quite some time (though I
daresay none of us remember a time without FORTRAN or LISP), and we
are most comfortable with the Emily Postnews (remember her? probably
not, you need to be *old* and listening on port 119 :-) version of
netiquette.

BTW, I *am* attempting to channel Barry and Mark, though with what
success they'll need to say.  I don't mean to criticize any person's
behavior (IMO so far all has been compatible with the netiquette I
believe is practiced on this list).  I think it's worth having a
public discussion *right now*, because we're coming up on GSoC and
we'll have a pile of newbies coming in.  (At least, I hope so!)  It's
best if we have a common policy.

IMHO FWIW YMMV and we'll all adjust our watches to Barry's, of course.

Regards,
Steve