[Mailman-Developers] RELEASED: GNU Mailman (core) 3.0b5

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Jan 6 19:04:43 CET 2015

On 01/06/2015 09:48 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 12/30/2014 2:39 PM, Barry Warsaw <barry at list.org> wrote:
>>  * "A" release, which remains on Python 2.7
>>  * "B" release, which is only compatible with Python 3.4
>
> So, wheezy admins will be left out in the cold.
>
> Bummer... :(

See the last paragraph of Barry's post at
<https://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-developers/2014-December/024134.html>.

Multiple Python versions can coexist happily side by side. For example,
on my production CentOS 5 server, I have (uptime included as partial
explanation of why it's CentOS 5)

[mark at sbh16 ~]$ uptime
 09:55:41 up 1821 days, 17:04,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.03, 0.08
[mark at sbh16 ~]$ python -V
Python 2.4.3
[mark at sbh16 ~]$ python2.7 -V
Python 2.7.9
[mark at sbh16 ~]$ python3 -V
Python 3.4.2

I submit that for quite some time it will be significantly easier to
install an alternate Python from source than it will be to install and
configure and migrate to any Mailman 3, so just consider the Python
installation a small part of the total.