[Mailman-Developers] Python 3

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Tue Jan 6 20:26:09 CET 2015

On Jan 06, 2015, at 02:55 PM, Aurelien Bompard wrote:

>> > What if a site wanted to run them on different VMs for example?
>>

>Yeah, but certainly there should be a limit to that. What if a site wanted to
>run each mailman runner on a different VM for example?

There's already some support for that, in a way.  The runners with queues
already employ an algorithm to safely split the queue space up into 2^n
separate runners without the need for locking.  They do of course have to have
access to the same directory (e.g. over NFS).  Also, now that MM3 is backed by
SQL, the use of a client/server db like PostgreSQL eliminates another
co-location bottleneck.  I wouldn't say this latter is thoroughly fleshed out,
and I'm not even sure there's a compelling use case, but it may indeed be
possible.

>Oh well, I guess there's no other way. I hope it's not going to be a mess to
>configure, I'd like to avoid having the admin set HK's base URL in 3
>different places.

Agreed.  Configuration complexity among all the various components is
definitely something to be wary of.

Cheers,