[Mailman-Developers] X-Message-ID-Hash header (was Re: Python 3)

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Tue Jan 6 21:50:04 CET 2015

On Jan 04, 2015, at 03:10 PM, Jeff Breidenbach wrote:

>So the homebrew hash was dumb idea, and will gracefully
>retire in favor of the standard mailman hash algorithm. It
>was pretty neat to see some usage, though. And Archived-At
>still looks like a winner.

Definitely.  X-Message-ID-Hash was just a way to elaborate on RFC 5064 $3.2,
and because Base 32 was chosen, there isn't any need to worry about needing to
escaping non-ascii characters in the Message-ID, nor case/letter/number
ambiguity, and still have a reasonably short-ish, human readable URL.  Mailman
guarantees that any message it forwards will have a Message-ID, although it's
usually the case that something upstream will also make such a guarantee.

The X-Message-ID-Hash is a pure convenience.  We could omit it since we still
create and add an Archived-At header with the hash as the last path component,
and of course with a well-documented algorithm, it can always be calculated
from the Message-ID.  It's just handy to include it for other system
components that want to combine it easily with RFC 2369's List-Archive header.

Cheers,