[Mailman-Developers] installation problems blocking a new developer

Abhilash Raj raj.abhilash1 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 18:06:38 CET 2015

Hi Sumana,

On Tuesday 20 January 2015 10:08 PM, Sumana Harihareswara wrote:
> Hi all! Thank you for your IRC help and for merging several of my
> patches. :)

Thanks to you for helping with bugs and your effort on improving the
wiki is very much appreciated.

> I'm running into installation problems with Mailman and mailman.client .
> The Mailman core one, I can work around, but the client bug is stopping
> me from getting a running dev environment so I can fix bugs in Postorius:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/1411435
> after initial install, master runner crashes when config file is missing

I confirm this bug and have faced it myself, but still haven't looked
into what is causing this. The work around you mentioned on the
bug-report seems to solve the problem.

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman.client/+bug/1411653
> Installation fails because of bdist_egg

This is not really a bug. MailmanClient is not compatible with python3
yet. Barry has ported it to be bilingual, but it is yet to be merged in
the trunk. So if you care to give Barry's branch a spin you can download
it from here: lp:~barry/mailman.client/bilingual . Or else you can try
running mailman.client with python2.7 and you should not face any problem.

> I've been improving
> http://wiki.mailman.psf.io/DEV/A%205%20minute%20guide%20to%20get%20the%20Mailman%20web%20UI%20running
> as I go, and have gotten help from /src/mailman/docs/START.rst and the
> branch
> https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~raj-abhilash1/mailman/docs/view/head:/src/mailman/docs/WebUIin5.rst
> . But I am a bit at sea here, and stuck on this bdist_egg problem.

And I think I have mentioned it in the branch above that mailman.client
should be run in (py2) environment. Please let me know it is not clear,
I would try to improve the documentation.

--
thanks,
Abhilash Raj