[Mailman-Developers] Who is the "site administrator"?

Andrew Stuart andrew.stuart at supercoders.com.au
Sat Jan 24 06:05:46 CET 2015

>>you can have users with site privileges

I had a look at the data model but couldn’t see this. Would you mind please pointing me in the direction of where user site privilege information is stored?

I can see that there is the concept of “Rosters” but rosters seem to apply to lists and not at a higher level i.e. as far as I can see there’s no way to apply a roster to the system rather than to a list.

The main thing I’m looking for is whether there is an authorisation concept that operates at a higher level than the list.

I wonder is there the concept of some sort of “special” mailing list that is different or hidden or privileged in some way? There is a reference in the documentation to a “site list” but I coudn’t find much more about it. If there is a “special” list then maybe site wide user priveleges can be stored against it.

I can see there is a site_owner in the Mailman config file although this just seems to be an email address to get bounces in certain circumstances, is it used for anything?

as

On 2015-01-23, 7:12 PM, Andrew Stuart wrote:
> Is this defined in any way?
>
> Is there any concept that a given Mailman user has “site admin rights”?
>
> Or is the concept of the “site administrator” not realised in the application and just considered to be someone with operating system level access to the system that Mailman is running on?

In Mailman 2, there's no admin "users" in a typical sense but the site administrator is someone who knows the global password for a site and/or has shell access. The global password lets you log in as an admin to any list, and depending on your settings may let you do things like create and delete lists.  And yes, it's really just one shared password

In Mailman 3 there's a much more nuanced user system and you can have users with site privileges (and there's no longer a need to share passwords).

Terri