[Mailman-Developers] Merging users

Eric Searcy eric at linuxfoundation.org
Tue Jul 21 20:01:14 CEST 2015

On 7/21/15 9:39 AM, Aurelien Bompard wrote:
> Hey devs!
>
> I'm hitting a problem when migrating from 2.1 to 3, but I think it's a
> generic issue (or rather a missing feature) and I'd like to fix it.
>
> If I try to associate an existing address to an existing user (without
> this address obviously), the Mailman API will reply with a 400 error
> "User already exists". Postorius currently does not detect that and
> just errors out with a 500 page (but that's not the issue here).
>
> I think I need to merge the two users, and that's currently not
> supported. I believe it would be a useful feature, so I'd like to
> discuss it here. IMHO, the only tricky part would be to merge the
> preferences associated with each user, but if I know which of my two
> users has priority, I can just resolve the conflicts that way.
> Am I missing something? Do you agree it would be a useful feature to have?

This is a generic issue for us too; not just migration-related.  I also
would support consolidation/merging of Postorius users to solve this.

In fact, there are a few inter-related blockers for us:

a) authenticating as the wrong email address + attempt to add subscribed
email as alternate (especially happens with social-type logins where
correcting the authenticated email is a pain)
b) cannot social-authenticate as an email address which is an alternate,
not the primary
c) attempting to social-authenticate as an email address which exists
but has no account ... at least I think this is what is described by
https://bugs.launchpad.net/postorius/+bug/1227461 (no matching gitlab bug)

Eric