[Mailman-Developers] Trying to get started developing Mailman

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jul 24 18:52:15 CEST 2015

On 7/24/15 9:37 AM, Thomas Storey wrote:
> ... but sending mail via:
>
> echo "test body text" | mail -s "test subject" testlist at augusta.net
>
> simply results in a bounced email message in /var/mail/thomas (my user on
> my machine).

And what does the bounce (or Postfix's mail.log) say is the reason why
it's undeliverable?

> Does anyone have any advice for setting up a local-only mailing list
> environment so I can test behavior as I poke around in the code? Ideally I
> want to be able to just send emails via the command line to the local
> Mailman instance and have Mailman send emails out to local users that are
> subscribed to its lists.  I am stumped as to how to get this going, and I
> feel like I must be fundamentally misunderstanding how things are supposed
> to be done.

My main development machine's IP is actually in DNS as msapiro.net. I
have Postfix on that machine configured with mydomain and myhostname =
msapiro.net and mydestination = msapiro.net, localhost.localdomain,
localhost.

My other machines (traveling laptops) are similar, but I also have

127.0.0.1  msapiro.net

in /etc/hosts to override the DNS.