[Mailman-Developers] Trying to get started developing Mailman

Thomas Storey storey.thomas at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 19:00:29 CEST 2015

Thanks for your continued help Mark! Sorry for the untidy list usage.
When I first subscribed to this list about a month and a half ago I set my
subscription to digest mode, but it seems the password I have stored in my
password manager is incorrect, so I can't set it off, which has not been
helpful for this discussion obviously. Thank you for bearing with me!

In my /etc/postfix/main.cf file I indeed had both virtual_alias_maps and
transport_maps set to my /.../mailman/var/data/postfix_lmtp file. I removed
the virtual_alias_map setting and tried again, and did in fact get some
encouraging behavior.

After that, sending mail to mailman at augusta.net did not bounce, and indeed
did make it to the list, but the list was unable to send mail to users
subscribed to the list. I looked in the mail.log again and saw:
NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from localhost[127.0.0.1]: 550 5.1.1 <
thomas at augusta.net>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local
recipient table; ...
After some searching around, I found that the transport maps settings
sometimes don't work and it's better to use aliases.
So I removed the local_recipients_maps and relay_domains lines, and mapped
the alias_maps and alias_database lines to my
/.../mailman/var/data/postfix_lmtp files in my main.cf file. I also removed
the mailman lines in master.cf (the ones that look like this:
mailman   unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
flags=FR user=list argv=/usr/lib/mailman/bin/postfix-to-mailman.py
##  ${nexthop} ${user}