[Mailman-Developers] Query regarding plugin integration with mailman3

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sun Mar 1 17:14:07 CET 2015

Aanand Shekhar Roy writes:

 > I was seeking was how to integrate it with the existing src of
 > mailman in a user's computer.

You don't "integrate [a plugin] with source".  The point of what is
conventionally meant by "plugin" is that you can add it to an existing
installation, and it will just work.

In Mailman, enabling a handler is done by adding the handler module
(either as Python source, which will be automatically compiled, or as
a precompiled .pyc) to the handlers directory in the installation.
Any packages imported by the plugin can be placed anywhere on the
PYTHON_PATH.

To actually configure the "plugin" for use, you install it in the
appropriate place in a pipeline or chain.  The defaults are kept in
pipelines.py and chains.py.  I suppose that you can also add them in
config/mailman.cfg, but I'm not sure of the syntax (I haven't tried to
do this and don't see any documentation or examples in the obvious
places).  It should also be possible to add handlers to pipelines for
individual lists, I guess.