[Mailman-Developers] Mailman setup : SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Abhilash Raj raj.abhilash1 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 18:28:17 CET 2015

Hi Vlad,

On Tuesday 03 March 2015 08:36 PM, Vlad Shablinsky wrote:
> Hi, I'm Vlad Shablinsky. I study computer science in Belarusian State
> University and I'm new to Mailman. I've been trying to set up Mailman but
> got some errors.
>
> Firstly, I'm running OS X 10.10.
> I followed these steps:
> 1. http://wiki.list.org/DEV/Mac%20Mailman%20development%20setup%20guide
> 2.
> http://wiki.list.org/DEV/A%205%20minute%20guide%20to%20get%20the%20Mailman%20web%20UI%20running
>
> I can't setup Postorius and start the development server.
> Here is the error that I have when I run `python setup.py develop` in the
> postorius directory. (All the steps before seemed to be ok. At least I
> could run `mailman start` and follow the mailman.client step).
>
>   File
> "/var/folders/ng/7d7b3z697tq28vn6j28b0hl80000gn/T/easy_install-02lngieo/oauth2-1.5.211/setup.py",
> line 18
>     print "unable to find version in %s" % (VERSIONFILE,)
>                                        ^
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Are you using python2 for postorius? Mailman core requires python3.4 and
mailman.client is bilingual( can run on both python2 and 3). But
postorius (for now) only runs on python2.

Also, since you need to be able to import mailman.client in postorius,
you need to install mailman.client too in a python2 environment.

--
thanks,
Abhilash Raj