[Mailman-Developers] Understanding the codebase(GSOC 2015)

Abhilash Raj raj.abhilash1 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 18:54:17 CET 2015

Hi Prakash,

On Tuesday 03 March 2015 10:42 PM, Prakash kumar wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am Computer Science and Engineering 3rd year student at G. B. Pant
> Engineering College. I want to understand the codebase of mailman.
> I use pdb for debugging and I have already cloned the source code of
> mailman core from launchpad. I want to go through the working of code line
> by line.

Going line by line through the entire source might not be the thing you
want to do (Mailman is a pretty big project ;-). You can get started by
picking up a bug and reading through the parts of the source code
relevant to it.

> Can you tell me how to set up mailman core and debugging it?
> I use git for version control, do I need to learn bzr or git is sufficient
> for the project? How can I push the code to the launchpad after fixing bugs?

All the links are clearly mentioned on the Ideas Page, please go through
it thoroughly. You'll find answers to most of your questions there.

If you are familiar with git, bzr should not be at all difficult for you
to follow. Follow this[1] guide and you should be good to go.

You can push to launchpad with this command:

  $ bzr push lp:~<your launchpad username>/mailman/<branch name>

(Fill in the data inside of <> with your appropriate data).

[1]:
http://doc.bazaar.canonical.com/migration/en/survival/bzr-for-git-users.html

--
thanks,