[Mailman-Developers] Discussion about Mailman plugins(GSOC 2015)

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Mar 5 07:09:21 CET 2015

Prakash kumar writes:

 > As mentioned on the ideas page I read the working of both chains.py
 > and pipelines.py and understood the basic architecture of mailman.

I'm really having trouble with this interest in "plugins" as opposed
to "rules for chains" and "handlers for pipelines".  To install a rule
or handler is a three-step process done by the site administrator:

1. Write or download a module containing some code using a simple
   plugin API; the code has access to all Mailman features.

2. Save/copy the module to .../rules or .../handlers.

3. Configure the global pipeline in mailman.cfg or individual
   pipelines in list configurations.

That looks rather "pluggable" to me.  What does a "plugin" give that
improves on this process?