[Mailman-Developers] GSoC 2015 Introduction

Ana Badescu anabee.emacs at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 05:22:57 CET 2015

Hello,

I'm Ana Badescu, and I'm a first year Artificial Intelligence graduate at
Polytechnic University of Bucharest, Faculty of Automatic Control and
Computer Science, looking to participate in GSOC 2015, hopefully with
Mailman!

You might believe that I arrived late. However, I have just installed the
mailman client, mailman core and the Postorius and got them up and running
in their own env. Can't believe how straight-forward it was! Once I'm done
reading the contribution guides, I'll pick a few bugs to get a better idea
of how the codebase is structured.

As this is my first GSoC try, I admit I was a bit at a loss facing the huge
diversity of organisations and projects.

Honestly, there are three reasons that I chose Mailman over:
- it involves areas that I am familiar with and I enjoy working on (Python)
- I started looking at the organisation list and project list on day one.
At least in my opinion, Mailman has one of the most friendly
getting-started guides out there.
- I found the Javascript client project being interesting to me. I do have
quite a lot of experience with node.js, enough to say there is a love-hate
relationship when it comes down to using it in projects. I'm actually doing
my graduation thesis in node. I think it's great idea to get a Javascript
client going, it will be well received by the community as there are a lot
of devs that work solely with js and maybe a few frontend technologies.
Kind of sad but true.
I've also set up a number of RESTful interfaces before, specially in
hackathons where the team members are each using different technologies.

I have mentioned this because I am definitely willing to learn and work,
but I'm trying my best not to do this in the wrong direction. This project
is the one that interests me the most, any advice on what should I do after
getting a few patches in? Should I get a small working client going?

Could you please advice me regarding this matter?

Thank you,
Ana